Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Cabinet Glued & Clamped

Finished the piece that will house the monitor, also finished the upper portion that will house the light and marquee. Put a bead of Gorilla Glue on and clamped and weighed it all down. I've never used Gorilla Glue before, I love it. It is forgiving because it expands and my cuts aren't 100% square (no table saw, just a couple of clamps a straight edge and a circular saw).

Sunday, 21 July 2013

First Cabinet Dry Fit

Most of the pieces were ready for a dry fit, so I clamped things together so I could choose were I wanted the monitor to sit. Now that is done I can cut out a hole for the monitor.

Sunday, 7 July 2013

Control Panel Finished



The final control panel is all drilled out and now I'm ready to start gluing things together.

Monday, 22 April 2013

Control Panel Prototype

I built a prototype of my control panel just to make sure everything fit like it was supposed to.

It was a tight fit in some places, but shouldn't be a problem to move things an eighth an inch or so. I wanted to keep it a two player cabinet while making it as small as possible.

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Panel Cutting

I traced the cardboard pattern onto 1/4" hardboard and sanded the edges smooth. Then borrowed my brother in laws router and clamped the hardboard pattern to a sheet of 1/2" MDF and cut out 2 copies. Then clamped those together and sanded the edges smooth.

I again scaled down Jakobud's pattern to 80% to get my width between my cabinet sides to be 18". I cut out a top and bottom panel and the control panel pieces. I then got work on the speaker opening.

I had to do this by hand as I didn't have a router bit this small. I drilled holes at each end of the slot and cut the slots with a copping saw.

It was a little rough to start, but a little filing and sanding cleaned it up nice.

Saturday, 6 April 2013

Start of my Mario Bros Arcade Cabinet

I built a MAME cabinet about 10 years ago from a Crime Fighters cabinet. After 3 moves I finally decided that it was way too big and heavy, so I stripped it of it's components and trashed the cabinet. I decided to build a cabinet from scratch. I wanted it small so it was easy to move around but still large enough for 2 players. I decided on a Mario Bros cabinet at 80% scale and only from the control panel up. Since I'm going 80% scale I could use 1/2" MDF. I started my build at jakobud.com. Instead of trying to draw out this at full size I used PosteRazor and printed the multiple sheets and then taped it all together.
Then transfered this over to carboard.